Celebrate Shabbat at Home
“We live in an age where family is being newly valued, and where the richness of Shabbat home liturgy is in greater demand than ever before.”
– Rabbi Lawrence A. Hoffman, Shabbat At Home
Join in a 5-week workshop to learn the brakhot (prayers) and accompanying melodies to enhance your Jewish practice at home. Everyone is welcome!
Taught by Leora Troper, who leads Shir Tikvah’s on-going makelah (informal singing group), each session will be 55 minutes long. We’ll go over the words, their meanings, and learn the melodies. You do not need to read Hebrew, be musical, read music, or sing on key.
Sunday mornings 10:00 – 11:00 am
Tucker Maxon Oral School 2860 SE Holgate
February 7, 14, 21, 28 and March 6
Minimum of 5 students required
Week 1 – Shabbat blessings
Week 2 – Shabbat blessings
- Eishet Chayil (praise for a strong woman)
- Shalom Aleichem (welcoming the Sabbath)
Week 3 – Shabbat blessings
- Birkat HaMazon (blessings for after the meal) – part 1
Week 4 – Shabbat blessings and Havdallah
- Birkat HaMazon (blessings for after the meal) – part 2
- Havdallah – first half
Week 5 – Havdallah – second half
You are encouraged to bring a recording device.